Japan’s Stance on a United Korea: Ambivalence or Realpolitik?
Northeast Asia is at a critical juncture amid the gross uncertainty and chaos brought upon by geopolitical forces not just in the region but globally too.
A wide range of factors have resulted in increasing the threat levels in the region.
- The ongoing China-US rivalry;
- Debilitating aftereffects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has affected the region’s stability;
- Russia-China collusion that started prior to the invasion of Ukraine;
- China’s continued tacit approval of Russian actions during the ongoing war in Ukraine;
- Japan’s rising perception as a global power and the increasing hostilities with some neighbors;
- South Korea’s election of the conservative Yoon Suk-yeol as the country’s 20th president, which has raised hopes and fears; and
- North Korea’s resumption of ballistic missile tests (and a prospective seventh nuclear test).
Will Yoon’s Indo-Pacific Strategy Tackle the China Threat?
In late-December 2022, South Korea under the relatively new presidency of Yoon Suk-yeol effectively concluded its policy shift from “strategic ambiguity” by releasing the “Strategy for a Free, Peaceful, and […]
Will Pyongyang’s NATO Tirades Pay Dividends?
Introduction: As the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit was being held in Madrid, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK or North Korea) state media outlet Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) […]
Yoon’s Plan to Ditch Strategic Ambiguity Will Test US-ROK Alliance, DPRK Policy
Introduction: While Yoon has questioned the Moon administration’s policy of strategic ambiguity with regard to the U.S.-China rivalry, the new South Korean President will likely find it difficult to abandon […]
Seoul in India’s (new) middle order convergence
As both India and South Korea build their ties on the basis of democratic partnership and ASEAN centrality, the need for Seoul to emerge as a strong partner in India’s […]
Where Is India in South Korea’s New Indo-Pacific Strategy?
Jagannath Panda and Choong Yong Ahn write on the place of India in South Korea’s new Indo-Pacific strategy. This co-authored piece primarily addresses the following questions: What would ROK’s special […]
South Korea’s Indo-Pacific Strategy: Quest for Clarity and Global Leadership
Less than a year after the Joe Biden administration released the latest US Indo-Pacific strategy, the Republic of Korea (ROK) unveiled its own “Strategy for a Free, Peaceful and Prosperous […]